The Kletzkers: Helping Each Other Get Settled
In 1892 immigrants from Kletz, Poland formed a brotherly-aid society known as a landsmanschaftn whose purpose was to help new arrivals from their hometown. In 1911 the landsmanschaftn built a three-story building that still stands today. The name of the organization, the Kletzker Brotherly Aid Association, stands on top of the building, used today as a Chinese funeral parlor.
One of the Kletzkers, Rabbi Aaron Kotler, achieved notoriety by establishing what is today the largest rabbinical college in the world, located in Lakewood, New Jersey. The main building on campus is called Kletzk.
Kletzker Brotherly Aid Association building on the Lower East Side
Photo copyright Molly Eyres. All rights reserved. Used by permission.